Valentine's Day is quickly approaching. Millions of women will be eagerly anticipating the gifts that their husbands bring them. While I am a fan of the occasional box of chocolates, flowers or jewels I have been given a different kind of gift this year.
I am very aware of the sweetness of my husband and don't take him for granted in the least. He truly is a gift from God sent just for me. I purpose every day to show him how much I love him and what he means to me. He has been my rock through cancer treatment and now through a hysterectomy that I would rather have not had to endure.
Last week while I was in the hospital this blog entry came to me. I knew that I wouldn't remember it due to the heavy pain medication and I must admit it was much more clever sitting in that hospital gown at 3 a.m.. I did have enough sense to make a couple of quick notes on a get well card so that I could share it with you here this week.
As I mentioned before for many people on Valentine's Day LOVE is shown in the form of chocolates, flowers and jewels. There is certainly nothing wrong with these expressions of a wonderful emotion. Sitting in that hospital bed though I was given the gift of LOVE by my wonderful husband.
Here is my "LOVE IS" list:
LOVE IS...looking through your cloud of heavy pain meds and realizing that your husband is sitting patiently beside your bed holding your catheter in the air so that it will drain properly.
LOVE IS...your husband removing his only pair of socks (our bag was still in the car) and putting them on your feet because you were dumb and wore flip-flops to the hospital. He in turn spent the entire day walking around in boots without socks just so that you could have warm toes. [This was a separate hospital stay, but it warrants mentioning]
LOVE IS...attempting to sleep in that torture device they call a recliner--finally finding a "comfortable" (and I use that word lightly) position only to have your wife come up out of her drug-induced stupor to ask for 2 more chocolate ice creams and her 17th grape juice.
LOVE IS...holding the tiny kidney bean vomit tray as you projectile vomit up the aforementioned ice cream and grape juice. He sweetly wipes your face with a cool rag and tries not to show fear in his eyes of this beast before him that once was his wife. Have you ever shot ice cream and grape juice through your nose? Trust me...it wasn't pretty.
LOVE IS...sticking by your side through cancer treatments, hysterectomies, no boobs, new boobs, hot flashes and fear of the unknown--never being swayed by an easier path that some husbands take because they can't handle it all.
So you see on this Valentine's Day, I KNOW that I KNOW my husband loves me. He shows me every day and when he tells me so--I believe him. I know some husbands don't show love the way we would like, but take the time to appreciate those little things he does for you. The love he shows in ways that Hallmark hasn't made popular but speak volumes more than any box of chocolates ever could.
Happy Valentine's Day Ed. I LOVE YOU more than I can ever express!
Monday, February 11, 2008
Let Me Tell You A Little About Love
Posted by Fran at 4:02 PM
Labels: Holidays and Birthdays
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








9 comments:
:hcry: I'm so thankful that my friend is loved so much! Happy Valentine's Day, dear one!
I got chills reading this.You really have a gift for putting your emotions on paper.I know for sure like you do that God put you and Ed together.I saw it!!!!!Love you both.Happy Valentines Day my forever friend.
I'm so glad to know you are loved so well Fran!!! Happy Valentine's Day to you and your true love!
Jen in SC
Awesome post Fran! Brings tears to my eyes.
Lori G.
Fran, you are blessed woman.
What a beautiful expression of love and faithfulness, for better or worse.
That was beautiful, Fran. I hope you and your husband have a WONDERFUL day together!
Man, now I love Ed too!! Thank you for writing this, Fran. It was beautiful.
Fran, thank you so much for sharing your love story. I have tears in my eyes. You have a beautiful way with words.
Love,
Lynn
Post a Comment