When Princess E was born we began talking about homeschooling. We didn't know anyone that homeschooled, but I began doing my research. I soon fell in love with the idea. Families homeschool for a variety of reasons. We didn't have any one reason that stood out for us. We knew we wanted to protect her from being exposed to mature scenarios, foul language and ideas that go against our beliefs. Some say that this is "sheltering" your child. I feel like it's my right to keep my 5 year old from getting her sex education in the school yard. Academics weren't really a driving force in our decision to homeschool, but now seeing how advanced E is we couldn't imagine her starting Kindergarten this fall. And that is what brings me to this post:
I had the realization the other day that Princess E would've started school this week. Our local school district has school year-round. The first day of the new year was this week. I can't even imagine sending her off to school each day. I am so thankful to be able to keep her home and guide and protect her. The thought of sending her out the door with a backpack and a "see you this afternoon" literally makes my stomach hurt. I know some parents can't wait for the school year to start so that their kids are gone each day, but I'm not one of them.
We've been officially schooling since April though she's been learning at home for years now. She's reading on a 2nd grade level and doing 1st grade math. Kindergarten in the public school system would be an absolute bore for her. She would not be challenged enough or taught at the level she needs to be. I'm happy to be able to really KNOW her and what she's capable of doing.
I know homeschooling isn't for everyone, and we don't have any great opposition to public school. One day we may find that is the path we will have to take. For now though, I'm happy that I can have breakfast with her each morning, learn and laugh with her throughout the day, and allow her to discover what she is interested in and pursue those ideas.
Mostly though this week, I'm thankful that I didn't have to put her on that big yellow bus and wonder what she was learning that 5 year olds aren't supposed to know.
Saturday, August 1, 2009
Thankfully Homeschooling
Posted by Fran at 6:49 PM
Labels: Homeschooling
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








0 comments:
Post a Comment