Wednesday, October 1, 2008

How Not To Start Your Day

I climbed out of bed this morning with a plan. I was going to go into my living room and have a yoga session with the guy on TV. I got dressed in my finest yoga gear, rolled out my mat, turned on the TV and then I made my mistake. I let the dog out. Why was this wrong you ask? It couldn't be avoided so I'm not truly to blame, but I was unaware that there was a skunk by the shed.
Skunk-in-Grass-800x600
The dog ran straight to it and proceeded to get sprayed! Now I wasn't aware of this until he came back to the door to come in and I picked him up. I walked four steps inside and then it hit me. Now here's where I went really wrong...in my effort to quickly get him washed I lost sight of the fact that we have a utility sink in the garage. I instead took him to my bathroom and threw him in the tub. I rushed to the pantry and all I had was tomato sauce so that's what he got. I have scrubbed and scrubbed...he still stinks. I have stripped all of my clothing and towels and have them in the washer. I showered, but it's no use....my house is permeated with skunk. I have enough candles lit to be a small chapel, I've sprayed an entire bottle of air freshener, and I've bleached the bathtub. I can't open the windows to air out the house because outside smells even worse than inside. How do you get skunk funk out of your house??

So much for my "zen" morning...any tips would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Fran, I'm so sorry!! What a bummer of a wake up call!! :( I have heard that the tomato sauce helps...but that's all I've heard so I'm no help!! Good luck! :)

*Heather said...

Oh no!!! The only thing that comes to mind is what Candace mentioned as that is what you see in the movies! Hope the stink goes away quickly!

Unknown said...

Fran,
This happened to us when our golden retriever got sprayed at midnight at my MIL's after we'd been traveling, worked all day, etc... It's not fun is it?
O.k I believe my dh used alcohol (like in rubbing alcohol) and tomato juice. The smell will come out but yes you do need to scrub and use enough of the mixture. You can't get the mixture too much in the face so the smell will linger for awhile but the main part of it will go away.
If you don't it out soon, let me know and I'll check with dh on the exact recipe he used.

Nikki said...

Oh, dear Fran, what a drag! I've recently seen a few skunks in the morning when I'm on my way to join my girlfriends for our run (about 5:45am). I'm kinda freaked that it's gonna be US that get sprayed. I can't even imagine...

I'm hoping and praying that by now, you're experiencing some measure of relief and eventually, a few laughs. XOXO